REQUIRE CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS
“Carbon monoxide is called the ‘silent killer’ because it is practically undetectable to the human senses; it has no smell, taste, or color. Just recently, someone was tragically killed and dozens of people were sickened because of a carbon monoxide leak in a restaurant which did not have a carbon monoxide detector. Making these life saving devices mandatory in commercial buildings which are filled with people will help save lives and prevent future tragedies,” said Senator Martins. According to the New York State Department of Health, carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas produced from burning fuels such as oil, natural gas, propane, gasoline, kerosene, and wood. It is invisible, tasteless, odorless, and non-irritating, making it extremely hard for victims to even realize they are being exposed to it.
Victims can die from carbon monoxide poisoning after only several minutes of exposure. This past weekend, a carbon monoxide leak at a Huntington restaurant claimed the life of the restaurant’s manager and sickened 27 others. The leak was caused by a faulty pipe in the building’s hot water heater. The restaurant was not equipped with a carbon monoxide detector. Current state law requires all one or two family homes, condominiums, cooperatives, and each unit of a multiple dwelling have a working carbon monoxide detector. However, commercial buildings and restaurants are not required to have these safety devices installed under current law. The legislation (S6657) would require carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in any commercial building or restaurant that has appliances, devices or systems that may emit carbon monoxide or which has an attached garage.